Monday, August 20, 2012

331- Numbers vs Names

Registration day when all people are thinking about are how many?  How many?  How many? Today was no different.  I was thinking it, others were thinking it, many were asking it.... how many students do we have so far, how many are yet to come, how many? For me this question is scary.  In many ways it is the measuring stick as to how well I have done my job!  If we are full, I have succeeded if we are not I have not.  Realistically it isn't that simple and yet today it certainly seems that way!

Today I had several beautiful experiences were I was reminded that it is NOT about the numbers but names.  It is not about how many come, but who comes.  It must be about God opening doors, and impressing the right people to come! 

Today the first family I saw, before the doors even opened was the family of a wonderful young man that we have been hoping and praying would come.  He is full of charisma.  I was so thrilled to see he and his family there before the doors were even open!  Then about half way through the registration process they realized our policy states that hair has to be short for guys.  His hair is very long and has been his whole life.  At first they said it was fine, no big deal.  Then after talking they turned back in their registration folders and left.  I was devastated.  After a couple hours of praying and working at registration he returned and finished the registration process!  I was in tears!

Several other wonderful surprises happened today.  All keeping my focus on the students, on the names and not the numbers.  It reminded me of the monologue that Kim performed last night.  In her monologue she spoke of how the disciples saw her as "the woman at the well" but never is her name mentioned.  I would love every time someone asks how many students are here to instead of giving them a number to say, "well Suzy is here, Kyle and David, Tyler and Samantha.  Oh yea DJ made it and we were able to work out a financial arrangement that made it possible for Amanda."  I would love to do that name by name until everyone's name was mentioned. Can you imagine how different board would be if they knew everyone's story!  Can you imagine how different our thoughts and prayers would even be if it didn't always come back to the numbers.

I am determined to get to know the students all by name this year!  I am determined to get to know their stories, their talents, their prayer requests.  Please if you are reading this blog keep the students at Mount Pisgah Academy in your prayers. Please pray for CJ, Abby, Landon, Tegan, DJ, Ricci, Kaly, Samantha, Danielle, Gabriel, Tracy, Daniel, Tyler, Austin, Luke,Darian, Ryan, Allie, and all the others.

As far as living MtC, today it was made possible by looking at all the faces of these wonderful students.  Remembering that my Savior knows my name and I hope to share his love my knowing the names of His children!     

No comments: