Tuesday, August 21, 2012

332- First Day of School....

I can remember my very first day of school.  I was so excited to be going.  We were supposed to be traveling around Europe on bikes as a family, but our visa's to Ethiopia had been delayed so our parents decided finally to go ahead and put us into school.  We were in Berrien Springs Michigan.  That first day, I was nothing but excited.  I loved the smell of school supplies, new books, and new clothes.  I will never forget as I walked in the class room I was greeted with the most genuine kind voice I had ever heard, and then I saw her.  My teacher (can't remember her name), she was stunning.  She had long black shiny hair and her eyes lit up when she smiled.  She was so beautiful and she was so excited to see me!  It was such a wonderful day!  I loved every single day.... that is until I found out the visa was in and we were on our way across the ocean. 

Today was the first day of school at Mount Pisgah Academy.  Today I watched students that I have worked so hard to get here, walking the halls, making new friends, and some are just scared to death.  It is all so very exciting though.  I will say this, I was reminded today of my first grade teachers smile, of her kind words and her delight as she welcomed me, and I hope I am that way with every student who walks through the door.  I know I was in first grade, but frankly teenagers are no less in need of a welcoming smile and genuine excitement at their very presence.  Let's be real, I'm not too old to have someone sparkle when they see me. It can completely change my day, even my week! 

I know that day over 36 years ago, I walked into that class room with plenty of (C).  I was insecure, I didn't know anyone, I had never really had a friend. My mom had made my dress which I loved, but I remember wondering what others would think.  I walked in that day insecure about everything and in a moment, that smile, her warmth, her greeting put me at ease!

I guess today living MtC included spending my day trying to help others let go of some of the (C) they are carrying. It dawned on me that perhaps living MtC includes helping others let go of theirs! If I want to live without it I can be a welcoming, loving, accepting place where others can start to let go of theirs!  Every student here is an incredible gift from God.  He created them, He loves them, He desires for them to know Him.   I hope and I pray that this year, we staff have the willingness to be (C) washers instead of (C) tossers!  We have a choice, are we going to share our (C) or are we going to wash ours off and then be willing to help them set theirs down too?

No comments: