Friday, August 24, 2012

333- Choosing

Today I struggled with the decision of what to do about Present Truth Drama.  I started teaching drama here at Mount Pisgah Academy last year.  The group was small and we didn't even have tryouts.  I decided right up front that if someone had a desire, we could find something for them to do.  I wanted this group to minister to the students as much as they would minister to others.  So anyone who signed up could join.  At our first meeting we were 3.  They spread the news and after a couple days we were 18.  I was really hoping to keep it to no more than 14.  It went up and down for a few weeks and by the time we were ready to tour we were... 12.  Perfect!  A dozen. The group did an amazing job!  They memorized and practiced and performed often.

So this year at Mount Pisgah Academy registration we had 41 students sign up.  41!  What on earth do I do with 41! Of course I need to pick a number and whittle it down to what ever number I pick right?  Today I decided to have auditions for the students I don't know at all. Today I auditioned 7.  Six were amazing! 1 was good!  What to do.  That was just 7 of the 42, most of which I know would be terrific!

A week or so ago we had a board meeting at our church.  One of the agenda items was, that it was being purposed we change the locks of the church because they didn't know who had keys. (Back up several years), Before we even moved into our church we had a man come and talk with us about his church out west.  When they built their church, first sabbath in the new building they gave every member of the church a key!  EVERYONE!!!  He said they strongly believed that this church was built by everyone so everyone should have access.  They continued with that mentality and when someone joined the "family" they were given the key.  It was also stressed and demonstrated though example that as a member, as a part of the family we all have ownership, therefore we should all care for it too!  It was remarkable what a difference there was in their church.  People took better care of things, people helped to clean and do repairs.  It was amazing.  So when the idea came up in board that we should change the locks because we didn't know who had keys, I suggested that every member should have them, and talked about the concept briefly.  Let's just say it didn't go over well with some!

Perhaps, I don't like saying no... perhaps.  Perhaps I'm a softy....NOPE... I don't think so.  I frankly don't think this has anything to do with that.  I DO like finding creative and inclusive ways of running things.  I do think too often we control to hedge against the possibility of something negative happening, instead of expecting the best out of people!  I do think there are better ways of doing things sometimes and they are not always the obvious.  They are not always the most controlled way, the most clean cut way, it may even be complicated and messy.  Maybe?

Today as I contemplated what we could do with 41 students, how could we, should we, would we, I also struggled with (C).  I said things to myself that were not kind.  I thought things that were ugly.  I also questioned every thought, every idea, trying to decide if it was (C) that I needed to deal with so that I could make a logical decision or was it that I just don't fit in the normal, and that is OK.  It was a rough day of identifying and letting go of (C).  I finally came to this conclusion.   Yes, I have crazy ideas!  Off the wall, outlandish ideas, but that is OK.... nope that is great!  I am willing to let go of them, as long as I can be convinced that it is not at all possible, yet if it is, if there is a way..... perhaps outlandish, crazy, unimaginable is the way to go. After all Esther (in the bible) was crazy! Look what she did! Remarkable!

I don't know what is going to happen in drama this year, I don't know if I am going to have 41 or 14 but I do know this.... I am going to stop cutting myself down, it is wasted energy, I'm done!  Today I didn't live MtC but I did work through it,  and let some more go!  Yea!  That makes a good day!

No comments: