Tuesday, September 4, 2012

343- Friend Time (Friday)

Friday morning I met Amy for breakfast.  Amy and I have been friends since high school.  No one would every put the two of us together.  She is blond, I'm brunette, she is orderly, I'm well... not, she is a fashionista, I'm well... not.  As different as we may be, we have been wonderful friends for a very long time.  With the crazy schedules of life our time together has become rare.  Today we planned to meet for coffee and breakfast before heading out on our days.  She had a full day planned of returning merchandise, and I needed to run errands and look for furniture for my room. We met at a wonderful place in town that has enough pastry to make choosing a huge problem. After choosing amazing bites we sat down to enjoy our treats and coffee.

As always the conversation was pure blessing.  We caught up on the lives of our children, shared, and encouraged each other.  We kept saying we needed to go and then kept talking.  Finally Amy says to me, "I'm getting hungry, shall we see what they have here for lunch."  It was one in the afternoon and our pastry and coffee had long worn off and we needed lunch.  This wonderful spot also has amazing bread and soups so we ordered soup and bread and continued our time together until it was time to pick up her daughter from school.

It was such a blessed time.  I will never forget meeting Amy for the first time.  She was in a class at Pisgah, and I walked in.  She was with several other beauties and they all came over and said hello.  I was shocked that they even came over because they were "the" girls.  I was bran new to the school and yet there was no question she was one of "the" girls.  She was smart, cute, had the cutest clothes etc.  As we became friends it never ceased to amaze me that this wonderful girl was willing to be friends with me.  Today there were moments when I felt the same--- Amy is a remarkable mom, an amazing wife, as beautiful today as the day we met, she is kind, so thoughtful, giving.  I am blessed to have her as a friend!  However there was a difference for me today.  Today, as we talked, I kept thinking how thankful I am that I have had this relationship in my life.  How thankful I am that I not only know a remarkable woman like Amy but that I can call her friend.  That is different from the (C) filled girl in high school who couldn't imagine why she would like me because I was fat, I was lacking cute clothes, because I wasn't good enough or popular enough to be friends with her.  Today there wasn't shame just thankfulness and gratitude for her.  Today it wasn't all about me... poor me... it was about remarkable her!

I hope you can see the difference.  I have always loved her-- today I loved her without putting myself down!  I know I started this post with some comparisons that could be perceived as putting myself down, but it wasn't meant that way.  We are different and yet in many ways we are similar.  We both love over the top entertaining, opening our homes, all things beautiful and the color red.  We are in love with our husbands and really like our kids.  We enjoy romance movies, and we avoid exercise.  We love talking with each other and spending time with God.  Amy I appreciate you!  Today I was again reminded how important friendships are!  I am so blessed to have friends and I need to do more to stay connected with those around me! 

No comments: