Tuesday, September 4, 2012

345- Brunch and the High Chair! (Sun)

Sunday morning comes and Chris and I get to start cooking.  We decided to make our family favorite RollUps.  This is similar to crepes and we fill them with both savory and sweet.  It is just good and we enjoy the process of making them together.   I ran to the store while Chris finished up the final details at home.  When we had it all done, table set, flowers, food, music, all done what a wonderful feeling.  We finished about two minutes before our guests arrived.  As Didi walked in one of the first comments was how thankful she was we had the highchair.  I smiled in appreciation to Chris.  I really believe the most important element to hospitality it making people feel comfortable.  I remember the years when taking our kids to adult only homes, how terrified I was of the messes my kids would make, or the challenges of getting them fed.  I often felt shame because they were just being kids!  I had hoped to make it a meal that was not just delicious but fun for the kids too, and when I invite an 11 month old over for brunch,  I wanted a place for him to sit!  As he sat there eating his breakfast one little piece at a time off the tray of his brand new high chair I kept thinking how God deals with us in the same way.  I know I have so much to understand, so much to learn, frankly I am like an eleven month old, not ready for a fork or spoon.  I am still using my fingers to pick up little pieces of understanding, and instead of shaming me, instead of handing me a china bowl and a silver spoon, he provides a high chair with a tray so that I can pick up the pieces -- one piece at a time. 

We had such an amazing time.  The conversation was real and inspiring!  What wonderful intelligent friends Sam and Didi are.  We had such a delightful time. 

After they left Chris and I for the first time all weekend did nothing!  We did absolutely nothing and enjoyed that too!  It was a crazy full couple days, but I learned so much and enjoyed my time with friends and Chris. 

Living MtC today was about letting go of the notion that my house is never clean enough, and believing that opening it is enough!!!  That there may be stains on the rug, but that just makes it easy to not worry when food is spilled.  Our chairs are falling apart and don't match, but they kept us all at the table where we had amazing conversation.  Today was about doing what I know is most important and that is to say welcome and serve those around me.  It was such a joy and I can honestly say it was a remarkable day!!!!

No comments: