Monday, September 10, 2012

351- Empty Nest= Joy (Sabbath)

I realize just the title of this post to some will be impossible to comprehend.  I have heard so much--- from so many over the years about how terrible empty nest was.  I remember when the kids were tiny and we were overwhelmed with three under three, couples with grown children were trying to tell us to enjoy them because one day they would be gone and your life will be over.  They said things like, "we are lost", or "I cry all the time", or "you will wish you had them back, you will wish they were young again." 

I could not disagree more!!!  I loved my kids young, enjoyed those moments of little sweet adorable kids crawling in bed on sunday morning, or running around the house giggling as loud as they could, or times like when Andrew tried to get the Cherrios box off the table and ended up pouring the entire huge new box of cherrios on his head and all over the floor at his feet.  He looked at me frightened and when he saw me smile he started giggling and sat down and proceeded to throw them up over his head like you would a leaf pile.  He laughed and laughed.  What a moment.  Did I love those moments yes, yes yes!  Do I wish they were young again, no, no, no!

I love having adult children who are out there discovering the world, studying, learning to be adults, take responsibility, loving others, and finding joy in life.  I see this as one of those moments when Chris and I can look at each other and say, "On some level we were successful!  We have done what we were asked to do and now--- now we get to enjoy each other. 

Chris and I are spending such wonderful quality time together.  We are laughing, playing, loving, and relishing in this time of life and in each other. Today was a great example.  We got up early, very very early and went to church.  After first service was over at 10am we got in the car and drove to another church where Chris was playing for their service with some friends.  I had the opportunity to watch our friends little ones, while they praised God.  As I stood in the mothers room rocking their precious little boy back and forth in his stroller, in an attempt to keep him asleep, I couldn't help but cherish the moment.  I thought about all the Sabbaths we were doing the same when our kids were young. How church was their nap time, how much I loved seeing them so happy to be in Sabbath school.  How fun it was to teach them songs where they clapped and learned motions.  Yet I don't want those times back.  I love now having the opportunity to help others.  To rock other peoples babies, and then get in our car, just the two of us and drive home, where we can climb into bed and nap as long as we like.  We can then get up and decide on dinner and a movie, and we don't have to think or care about what the kids need or want.  We have the house to ourselves all the time!  We can run around..... OK never mind, you get the picture. 

I have heard people say they never have any regrets.  I have regrets for sure!  I wish I had been less fixated on (C)!  I wish so much of my young mothering years weren't consumed with guilt over not cleaning the house enough or not cooking enough healthy food, or not looking pretty enough while I did it all.  I wish many things, but I know God can take it all and make something good out of it.

Today was full of enjoying and finding the joy in this empty nest.  It was a great day and I'm thankful to be right where I am.  Right here right now!   No looking back and wishing, no looking forward with dread, instead relishing in the blessings and the joy of today--- in our empty nest!!!!!!!!

No comments: