Friday, September 7, 2012

350- Reading, Learning, Pushing

I hate to read!  For all of you readers out there I understand that is an unforgivable statement, that diminishes me in your eyes. It is something I need to get over or change, I am sure you are thinking.  Perhaps you're right but I'm not sure.  I have said before there are other ways of learning.  There are other ways of discovering truth, understanding God, and just learning in general. 

Today I received in the mail a DVD with my Seattle talk on it--- I decided to watch it, to critique myself without piling on the (C).  I vowed to be kind, but honest, with the understanding that my surrendered efforts were my best at the time. As I watched and critiqued I found things that I expected to want to tear apart I was OK with.  I did find a list of things I want to improve on. 

This past week Carolyn had Josh ask me a question about some issues he has with reading.  He would get very upset when he had to read.  He would get very agitated.  As we talked about it, I recognized a lot of feelings I have about reading.  As we talked I shared that it was just something he was going to have to learn to do so that he could get to an end result.  I suggested that he try reading and playing in short intervals.  Basically, if he needs to read for an half hour to take one hour and read 10, play 10 etc.  or 5 or however the time works best.  

Today as I watched the DVD one of my critiques was that I need to make sure I do know some of the specifics I intend to use.  I often get nervous and question myself, and forget things that I don't think I will, so they aren't in my notes.  I also just wish I had a deeper study to back what I experientially have learned. So today I decided I was going to start studying, digging deeper, learning something everyday. 

So I started studying the book of Esther.  As I started reading I found it difficult to keep my concentration, to stay focused, or to stay awake.  Then it dawned on me--- I needed to take my own advise and start reading or studying in spurts.  Interval learning.  Read, listen to music,read,  go for a walk,read,  pray, read, listen to a sermon, read. Read poetry, read books, read the bible.  Mix it up.  Keep finding ways of learning that fit me, but also throw in some tiny bits of reading.  I still believe that the concepts that I learn and stick for a lifetime will most likely be from experiences and that makes me no less intelligent and it makes what is learned no less important, yet I am going to add reading to the mix. 

Today was about pushing myself, being strong enough to critique myself with out piling on the (C) and learning.  Tonight I am thankful for the appreciation I have for who God created me to be!  Tonight I am looking forward who He continues to mold me into!


No comments: