Saturday, March 24, 2012

Hang on!

So last Thursday I didn't have internet access to post and then Friday night everything fell apart and I just didn't have the strength to do this. 

Early Friday evening we got a call from Andrew.  Chris answered the phone and immediately I knew something was terribly wrong. Chris kept asking what had happened.  After a couple minutes (me holding my breath literally trying to hear everything)  Chris said something that let me know it was Justin Hanna. 

Justin was a classmate of Andrew and Sarah and he died in a drowning accident of Friday.  He was swimming in a rock quarry near Oakwood University where he was attending.  His father died a few years ago.  So now his mother and his elder brother have another great loss. 

Last night I was very worried about Andrew, he was really upset, his phone was dead and he went out with his buddies, a perfect recipe for stressed out mom! 

There is no question that the greatest struggle as a mother at this stage in parenting is letting go.  Letting go of your children so they can fly.  The events of this weekend have made it so much harder.  When you know a mother who lost her son and your kids are hurting because of the loss of their friend, you want to be able to fix it and protect them.

All I can say tonight is please hang on to those you love. Hug them and tell them you love them. Hang onto them with love and support.  Yet all the while giving our children the freedom to grow up and fly.  What a hard balancing act. 

I love you Anna, I love you Sarah, and I love you Andrew.  Be safe, keep Christ the center of your lives, enjoy life and know I will always cherish you! I love you!

No comments: