Saturday, March 17, 2012

Laughing!

So as I mentioned last night I had big decisions to make about serving at our church.  Chris has also had decisions to make.  Today we went to church and then came home to work on making our decisions.  We prayed, we worked, we talked.  Sometimes we felt like we were going around in circles.  At one point I asked Chris what he was thinking and he said yes and I said no.  Then later in the day he was thinking no and I was thinking yes.  Then tonight we continued the process of trying to discern what God wants for us this next year.  Finally this evening we were able to make a decision. 

I realized something after this intense and very long day..... Chris and I are down right silly.  Yep that is right.  We have been dealing with a very serious topic all day, taking it very seriously and yet we have laughed all day.  Not at the decision, but at just little silly things that happen.  We are always making little comments, saying silly things and laughter follows. In a day that was quite stressful I can honestly say, it was filled with joy! 

For much of our marriage I have wished I was more of an elegant woman, more reserved, more prissy.  Tonight I decided the childlike silliness that we have contributes to the longevity and quality of our relationship.  This day when we were trying to make big decisions could have been stressful and a conflict generating time, and instead we end this day with a decision made and a lot of memories filled with laughter.  I like laughing and I laugh more with Chris than anyone else.  He laughs at me and I love that too! I feel funny when I'm with him and I am funny with him! The crazy thing is that I have spent way to much time wishing I was something else that would most likely have made our lives less full or less funny :). 

Lesson.... perhaps I am willing to let go of the (C)py idea that I would be better if I was more like someone else.  I can't begin to describe what a blessing this day was.  Chris and I connected in a way that brought so much joy to us both and in a way we have done so many other times, and laughter was at the core of it all! Yes we had intense serious and deep conversations but they were all filled with moments of wonderful stress relieving laughter. 

No comments: