Saturday, April 7, 2012

197- Blessed and Thankful

Tonight as the drama team sat around our living room during worship we all shared something we were thankful for and how someone had blessed us today.  It was remarkable to hear how the Lord had blessed each of us.  There is always so much to be thankful for.  No matter how crazy, no matter how tragic our days may be, in the midst of it all are blessings.

We spent most of the day (7:45am-3:45pm) at ACA Charlotte (the local Adventist elementary school).  We had a worship for the students, then we went and purchased dessert and drink for the entire school.  We  passed out dessert, played dodge ball, and then came the phone call.  The phone call was from one of the pastors at the church.  I could tell by his voice it wasn't good.  Something was very wrong.  At first I am thinking, has one of my students done something terrible?....No they have been with me the entire time.... could old issues come up and now they don't need us?....how am I going to handle the criticism?....   All of this is going through my head while he has a couple pauses trying to tell me what is wrong.  Then he finally gets it out.  One of their church members, the man who was to play Jesus in their play, right before communion tonight, committed suicide last night.  The pastor was calling to ask if there was any way we could help out with a student who could play Jesus.  He wasn't sure if they were even going to continue, He wasn't sure if they would want a replacement, but he was just wondering if it might be an option. I told him, that we would wait around after school until they had a chance to figure things out and we would help out in anyway possible or with anything needed. 

I got off the phone and was sad by the fact that I was relieved.  I was relieved that it wasn't something we had done, relieved it wasn't about me.  I was sad that my own personal (C) was first and foremost in my mind.  I quickly let it go and remembered why I want to keep struggling along on this path.  When we are consumed with self, then we are unable to be His hands the way He would like for us to be.  If we are consumed with good in ourselves, we are not looking to Him, if we are consumed with the bad, the (C) in our lives then we are not looking to Him!  Bottom line, we need our eyes to be on Christ. We need our focus to be on him! 

On this holiday weekend while I am  focusing on the incredible gift that he gave me, what a perfect time to practice keeping my focus on Him!  Let it all be about Him! I want to see thing blessings, I want to see all the many things I have to be thankful for! I want to see HIM!!!!

We ended up at the church most of the afternoon, helping to decorate, steaming table clothes, anchoring crosses into the floor, vacuuming and much more.  Then we were finally told they had someone to play Jesus, but they now needed someone to play another part, and they asked if we were willing.  We agreed and headed out the door.

As it turned out we had one of our students go back into the church with Chris, and then come right home.  We were just all too exhausted with skits that needed to be practiced and so much more for tomorrow. 

Today, this drama team the best I have ever seen them.  They came together, put out some powerful original work, and connected with students.

What a wonderful and full day it was.  I am going to bed blessed and thankful!

No comments: