Saturday, May 12, 2012

232- A Lace Table Cloth

Today after church we had an impromptu lunch with the Kendalls at our home.  My amazing husband had a meal cooked and prepared but my messes of coming and going, cleaning out the cars, my purse, as I run out the door,  was everywhere.  The dining room table was covered in a purse dumping mess done just moments before heading out the door for my flight to Seattle.  Yes it has been sitting there that long!  So last minute before they arrived I felt it would be appropriate to clean it off, (as you can imagine a woman's purse contents can contain things that should not be hanging around when guests come over.) After cleaning off the table, (putting the contents in a box to go through later...) I decided to put a clean table cloth on the dinning room table.  I went to the closet to choose a cloth and the (C) began.  The first one I saw was my grandmothers lace table cloth.  Not an expensive one,  but one she used all the time.  I instantly reached for it.... then (C)... after all it looks so old... it is far from contemporary or up to date.... it shows your age.... you want to be hip and cool....  I stopped..stopped and realized the (C).  There is nothing wrong with liking a lace table cloth.  The table cloth reminds me of my grandmother, of lunch after church, of delicious food, of time with family, of fun times, (grandma Chalmers was always fun!) moments of affirmation and so much more.  Why would I let my insecurities trump my desire to be connected to a simpler time, a sweet time. 

Then, lol.... I started in on... "why do you need the table cloth.... you don't need a lace table cloth to remind you, you can remember and still have a fresh contemporary cloth on the table."   I stopped and literally said to myself... "Are you kidding me!!!! Beth put the lace table cloth on the table and continue on with the new memories, friends family, and this day with Christ!" 

I put the lace table cloth on the table and went in the kitchen, sat on the stool and talked with my husband as he finished up lunch.  I have wondered, thought how many times I have made decisions not because it was what I wanted, but because I was trying to be cool, fresh, or because I was trying to impress.  Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with putting our best foot forward, I think we should! It should just be our best, not some fake imitation of our what we think others want. 

Today, with so many blessings, and there were many, I loved seeing the lace table cloth on my table, not because it was the only one clean, but because I wanted it, because I like it!  Today attempting to live MtC meant enjoying my grandmothers lace table cloth and I did!

No comments: