Tuesday, May 22, 2012

242- Sour Puss

I remember my grandmother telling me to stop being a sour puss.  If I was ever just down, whinny, she would tell me to stop being a sour puss, no one likes a sour puss.

Tonight I had the opportunity to travel to an 8th grade graduation.  For a long time I was the only one on my row, then finally a family joined me.  As they came into my row, the mother looked stressed, she was ushering the entire family into their seats.  They were one short and her husband ended up in the seat behind her.  Sitting next to me was a little girl.  I would guess her to be around 7 or 8 years of age.  Then beside her were three brothers and then her mother.  I turned and smiled at the little girl and NOTHING!  She looked angry, or at the very least sad.  So I waited a minute and asked her how she was doing.  She mumbled something but the expression on her face never changed.  I waited a few more minutes and then I asked her something else, again nothing.  I looked at her brothers, the same face, I looked at the mother, the same face.... yep father too!  They all had this frown, this look of being completely miserable.  I decided it was going to be my challenge to make one of these, otherwise adorable kids, smile!!!!  I tried several things, smiles, wave, etc.  NOTHING!  I couldn't even get them to look at me for more than a second and  they just kept giving me that annoyed look.
 I then wondered, why they were there.  Were they a family of a graduate or just friends?  I looked up to the graduates and there were two other African American girls, one was beaming with the most beautiful smile and the other was sitting up there with the same grumpy face as my entire row.  It was obvious she belonged to them.

A new and already dear friend has challenged  several of us to join her in memorizing Psalms 34.  I was reading it this morning in several different versions trying to decide which version to memorize.  Reading it over and over was such a blessing.  It brought a smile to my face.  I couldn't help but be happy.  Reading about praising the Lord, certainly made me smile.

Tonight I couldn't help but think of my grandmother.  I wanted to tell that little girl to stop being a sour puss.  I also wondered what crap so permeated this family, that they lacked any joy, even a trace! This was a happy occasion after all! 

I have been way to solemn faced recently!  In a funny way I saw my spirit in that little girl.  Not who I am but who I have been the last couple months.

So tonight, I am going to stop being a sour puss.  I am going to read Psalms 34 once again, snuggle down with my man, and sing a song as I go to bed.  I am going to Praise him continually, until I am exuding joy!!!! I don't want to be a sour puss, not because I want people to like me, but because I want to be someone who reflects the joy and love of my Savior!!!!!!!

No comments: