Sunday, December 4, 2011

Day 73- Celebrate in a Big way.... Celebrate!


Christmas is a time when we are constantly being reminded of goodwill. You hear about wonderful acts of charity and watch movies about acts of kindness.  It is the one time of year when shelters don't need help, because everyone wants to help.  Goodwill if flowing.  It is also the time of year when rich people give rich gifts to their already spoiled children and loved ones.  It is when so many of us work so hard to try to find something to give people who NEED nothing.  People spend money they don't have.  It is the time of year when those depressed become more depressed, when drinkers drink more and most people put on at least 5 pounds they don't need. It seems to be a season of great contradictions... Gluttony and charity in tandem.

I think the conflict of gluttony and charity has for many years created cognitive dissonance. A discomfort that I have not known what to do with.  Some decide they just won't celebrate Christmas at all, some just make sure they have a balance of both gluttony and charity, just enough of each to justify both. I have done some of that. Give away enough, help those in need etc and then sit back and enjoy the riches of the season.

This year I have been contemplating trying to have some peace from the dissonance that plagues me.  Our tree is trimmed (or up and decorated).  We have started the process of adding sparkle to the rest of the house and finding gifts to wrap and put under the tree. We are looking forward to time with friends and family, and I am already working on menu planning.

So what about the charity, what about the service, giving back.  That part hasn't been planned.  Should it be? This weekend I started spending time pondering on the reason for the season.  What is it.  (Easy answer), to celebrate the birth of Christ.  I had to do a children's story on Sabbath and talked about celebrating Christmas and how our heavenly father is in heaven right now preparing a place for us.  Making heaven sparkle with streets of gold and rubies and how there will be a feast prepared for us in heaven.  So should we celebrate or serve?  The only conclusion I have come up with is that we should celebrate and celebrate big! He is planning a celebration, He likes to celebrate why shouldn't we? Perhaps we should celebrate big and in that celebration serve others.  Perhaps it should be about celebrating with those we have been serving all year, instead of running to the shelters for our token once a year visit! If I haven't been serving all year than what?  Why all these questions?

I have always wanted to celebrate big!  Really big!  I want to cook lots of wonderful food and give lots of gifts! I want to sing, play music, watch sappy movies and play games all night!  I want to sit and reconnect with family!  I want to contemplate the incredible gift of Jesus Christ!  I want to celebrate what he means to me!  I want to hear violins, cello, harp and organ.  I want to hear trumpets and bell choirs.  I want to hear little children sing.  Why?  I like celebrating!  I like planning celebrations! I like participating in celebrations and attending celebrations.  I like invitations and an excuse to wear anything that sparkles and red almost everyday! Tonight we watched a Christmas movie and now the Celtic Women are on in all there beautiful glory.  So pretty.  Christmas is a time when parties allow you to dress up and when everything shines and sparkles.

My conclusion is this... I should LIVE a life of service.  I need to serve where I have been called to serve EVERYDAY!!! We have all been called to serve, some the homeless, some the elderly, some the youth, some our neighbors, our fellow church members, and some our own children.  This is a season to remind us of the incredible gift that was given us and to celebrate! To celebrate Him by celebrating together! I don't need to feel guilty for not serving as others have been called to serve. I just need to make sure I am serving as I have been called to do.  I don't need to feel guilty about celebrating.  He is right now preparing a lavish celebration just for me, the least I can do is to celebrate Him!

So this Christmas I am letting go of the cognitive dissonance that finds a way to creep into my head this time of year.  After all, if I am doing what He has asked me to do today, and tomorrow and the day after, that is exactly what I should be doing!  I am also reminded that God gives us desires and gifts and we have all been called to use them.  Well I certainly have the desire and the gift to Celebrate and I plan on using it! I don't exactly know how but I am going to work on celebrating with free abandon! Perhaps it can be a small and very humble preview and reminder of the celebrating we will all be doing around the sea of glass!

So tonight I am going to start planning, preparing and anticipating CELEBRATING!

2 comments:

Beth said...

Well said! I love to make my family happy and feel special!

Beth Grissom said...

You do a remarkable job at doing just that! One of your many gifts!