Tuesday, February 21, 2012

149- Rest (not sure what is happening... thought this was posted last night too!)

Rest.... Ahhhhh.... Rest!!!!  We are supposed to get it!  We are supposed to need it!!!! We require it for life!!! Yet for so many of us Rest is something we find very difficult to achieve.  So many times even if we have moments of rest, we figure out ways to take away the rest with guilt.  I guess I should not be saying we... ME would be more appropriate. I have had several days that have been wonderful but very full, and very long.  So today I got caught up on things that needed to be done, and took a nap... got some rest!!!

Christ makes it very clear that we need rest  and he has provided opportunity for us to have it. The Sabbath and the promise that coming to Him results in rest. So why is it that we find ways to keep ourselves so busy we don't find time to be with Him,  we don't even find time during the Sabbath hours to rest in him.  Our culture glorifies the person who can do so much, the person who is always doing something important. How many times when talking with people about our lives do we say,  "Life is great, I have spent plenty of time relaxing and resting!"   Why do we lead with how busy things have been, how crazy life is, our busy schedule etc.  Why?  How come we brag about the crazy hectic life and don't "brag" about the rest. 

I think it has to do with what we value.  Think about it.  Would you find it easy to share with people how rested you are, how stress free your life is, or how much you enjoy the down time you have been able to have?  Would we.  I know I would find say it either bragging or lazy.  I'm not sure I could lead with, "I have done nothing" and feel good about it. 

I personally think it is (C) that we find it less impressive to rest than to work.  I am not suggesting that we become beach dwelling bums without a purpose or the ability to work hard.  Hard work is important and good, but over working, over programing, over stressing, over serving, over playing, leads to the inability to rest!

Today, I spent sometime resting, and I am thankful for the rest!

No comments: