Tuesday, February 28, 2012

The day after Race day....

The day after race day was like the day after an intensely spiritual retreat.  It was like the afterglow of a wonderful vespers or the snuggle time after ... :)  It was a day when my mind was consumed with the day before.  I was replaying things over and over.  I couldn't imagine going back to "normal"  going back to interacting with everyone as if nothing had changed. I wanted everyone I saw, at the gas station, in the store, EVERYONE to know what had happened.   Silly...yea.  But it is how I was feeling.  I was different and I wanted everyone to know about it.

I was able to share my story with my boy Andrew, Becca, and McKennan.  That was such a blessing.  I love them all and sharing this was important to me.  It was so good to see them, so good to share the excitement, the importance of the race. 

Then I had to leave and start the 6+ hour drive home.  It was a long drive, giving me so much time to think.  I tried just listening to music, but it all seemed shallow and pointless.   I did listen to one sermon on marriage and was thankful to be going home to my man. 

As I drove I could feel muscles start hurting that had not been hurting the day before and I started worrying about what condition this body would be in when I arrived home.

More than anything I just could not thinking about the incredible race I had just run.  I shocked myself with thoughts of possibly getting ready, and training and thinking about doing it again.  CRAZY!!! It had been the most painful and difficult thing I had ever done.  But now the high of accomplishing it made the thought of doing it again..... a thought.  Like I said, CRAZY!!!!

I realized after much thought, it was not the run, not the pounding the pavement I yearned for but the powerful experience with God.  I wanted to feel that again.  I didn't want it to go away.  I didn't want this to become a distant story, a faint memory, but a permanent part of me.  I didn't want to run again I wanted to run with God again.  I wanted to hear him encouraging me.  I wanted to hear the quiet voice.  I wanted to see the twinkle in his eyes. I wanted to be with him!

So I turned off the radio and prayed.  I turned off the radio and just watched the beauty going by as I drove.  I talked out loud to Him and spent time listening.  I also thanked Him! 

I realize this will be one of those moments I hang onto through the droughts, when I feel like He is no where to be found.  I realize this will forever be one of the extraordinary experiences that replays when I need the encouragement. But I also want this to be a forever part of me.  I want to never forget!  I want to leave the (C) and never accept it back!  NEVER!  I want to know that for real I am NOT the SAME!  I am FOREVER CHANGED!!!!!

No comments: