Saturday, November 5, 2011

Day 45- Blessings and Surprises!

Sabbath is a happy day! happy day! happy day!

Seriously today has been such a day filled with joy.  I can not imagine my week without Sabbath. This morning did not exactly start out as a normal relaxed Sabbath.  I needed to be up early and over to the school to help work with my drama group.  They were performing for the Youth Rally Sabbath School.  I also had to get hot drink ready for the masses.  I left the house at 8:15 and prayed that God would help me find a red balloon. We needed one for a skit.  Just a plain red balloon.  The decision to use this skit was made at about 10pm the night before so we had no time to prepare.  I have no problem going to the store if needed on Sabbath, but I do try to avoid it.  A lot because of tradition, mostly because it is hard to maintain a heart of worship while shopping.  So I headed to Pisgah to look in every closet, drawer etc.  With out any luck.  I jumped back in my car and drove to Bi-Lo.  I walked in the store and there was a lady working at the flower counter, just steps inside the door.  I told her I was looking for a red balloon. A plain red balloon.  Not blown up, and just one.  She opened a drawer and handed me a red balloon.  I asked her how much I owed her and she said, "nothing, you can have it".  I thank her, and was out the door in less than a minute! I felt so blessed!  Then back to Pisgah.
Sabbath School started and I just loved the music! What a blessing it was.  Not just the music but watching "my" kids doing such a marvelous job.  It blessed and moved me.  Then it was time for the drama group to do their skits.  Both were done so well.  They had the congregation laughing and thinking! It was so good I stood holding the video camera with tears running down my cheeks.  Another wonderful blessing!
Church, more beautiful music! more blessings! Then time with friends at lunch! After lunch I was trying to decide what to do.  Go back to grandparents, sit on campus in the cold, (it is times like these that I feel alone, no real home base, no place of my own, no family).  Then I thought of my boy, he was up at the Anderson's house.  I knew they were probably still eating, but I also knew I would be welcomed, it would be warm, (in temperature and friendship), and I could see my boy, the closet family at the time. Another blessing!!! A place to go and feel HOME! (Thanks Beth and Rick.)
Then back to center campus to supervise students and set out snacks.  It was wonderful having conversations with students and visitors. Just blessings all around.  Then as I stood having a conversation with students in the tent, in walked Chris!!!! Blessing and Surprise in one! There is something really remarkable about having him around when I am tired. (well all the time but especially when I am tired)  He just makes me feel stronger, or lighter.  I don't have to carry it all, he shares in my load. We enjoyed some music together, it is always a wonderful blessing to hear our son praising God. (and Becca too :)).  Then after Chris helped me get the things put away that needed to be put away we headed off to get some supper.  We had a wonderful time sitting across from each other and just enjoyed wonderful conversation.  Before coming back to my grandparents we found a new, and fantastic coffee shop.  We sat down and talked over beautiful cups of coffee. Then back to grandparents... we chatted with them and then came down to go to bed...

So now that you are probably board and have stopped reading here it is...the big point :)  Today, was all about recognizing and focusing on the blessings God provided.  He blessed me with a red balloon, with hands to help out, through the drama group performance, the amazing music, the relationships with the students who were playing the music, with an amazing relationship with my son, with a home away from home, with terrific conversations with students and guests, with sunshine and an amazing blue sky.  He blessed me with a husband who cares for me, wants to know me and is willing to drive hours to come and see me.  He blessed me with a job that energizes me, with coworkers who help me. He blessed me with joy, peace, strength and understanding.  It is as if today with each of these blessings I was literally looking  into the face of Jesus and seeing his sparkling eyes looking at me.  I couldn't help but think of yesterdays post, and my trouble sitting across from Chris as his eyes were sparkling at me.  Much the same, as I think of the Creator of all, being interested in my life, in today on our campus, I want to question, could it really be so, surely He doesn't care about little old me, but Oh how wrong that is.  I know without a shadow of a doubt, He was smiling today! He was delighting in me! His eyes were sparkling and I was soaking up every minute of it!

No comments: