Wednesday, June 13, 2012

262- Mentors

Today was an interesting day... good interesting!  Becca took the students to their community service project and I stayed at the Andrew's home to have a phone call meeting with Rick.  Most of the day was spent working on several projects for the school.  But in the moments where I had some down time I spent time contemplating and praying for some of the very important mentors in my life.  I learned  something wonderful!!!! I have been incredibly blessed to have experienced Christ through some wonderful people.  I remember Pastor Gary talking about how we are to be the living example of Christ.  How we do represent or misrepresent him to the world.  I have over and over throughout the years been blessed with quality humans who love the Lord, and though far from perfect, they have over and over and over helped me know Him better. 

So today I spent time specifically praying for those who have helped me to know my Savior better.  That was such a joy! Praying for those around us is also an incredible way to bury the (C).

Perhaps the best part of my day was getting to talk for a few minutes to Chris.  We have been having a terrible time connecting by phone, live. I am working while he is off, he is working when I have minutes here and there.  It has been a terrible situation.  Chris is by far my best friend and when he doesn't know what is happening in my life and when I don't know what is happening in his life, it makes me sad!  We just talked about little things, honestly the most important part of the call was just hearing his voice!  He then promised to call again before going to bed.  Then my phone died and even after plugging it in I could not seem to get it to come on.  Finally, around 11:30pm I was able to get it to come on and there was a good night text from Chris, telling me he had headed to bed.   I was crushed.  I had so hoped to hear his voice.  I started to blog and then the phone rang.  Chris asks if it was too late to call a lady....Oh how lovely to be pursued!  How amazing to hear his voice twice in one day. 

I am not just writing this to make everyone sick.... I promise.  Don't get me wrong I do enjoy talking about Chris just for the sake of talking :)  I am still giddy about him!!!!  But tonight I am writing this because today as I  contemplated the amazing people who have continually lead me closer to Christ, I was reminded how God has my entire life been pursuing me, with His word, music and amazing mentors!  He has been wanting to talk to me, wanting to hear my voice, wanting to have an amazing relationship with me.  It is as if he has tapped these people on the shoulder and said,  "hey, I would really like to spend time with Beth... please tell her.... will you pass her this note...."



A Visit

Knock, knock, knock,  . . ..    You are used to hearing the same knock on your door every morning.  It may be familiar but it still unleashes the anticipation butterflies in your stomach.   Anticipation of the visit to come . . . Butterflies from the childlike hope that it will be as wonderful as the day before.
The beautiful morning rays are dancing on the walls as you walk down the hall, almost daring you to run, but you purposely slow your pace so you won’t appear too eager.  The fluttering in your stomach quickens as you reach the foyer.  Your hand reaches for the doorknob, you pause, take a deep breath and for a split second you wonder . . .  “Could it be as wonderful as yesterday, will my letting him down change how he feels about me, has he really forgiven me?  Can he forgive and forget,  . . . the visit yesterday was so perfect . . . will the visit today go as well?” 

You quickly glance around the house to see that it looks OK . . . it doesn’t.   It is far from perfect.   For a second you think maybe I should . . . No . . . He hasn’t noticed before in fact he doesn’t seem to notice anything but . . . YOU.    So you don’t keep him waiting . . . You turn the knob and open the door. 
There he stands; reality is better than you had remembered.  You look up to his face and all your fears are put to rest. The delighted expectation that you see in his eyes surprises you.  It almost seems as if he wants to be there more than you.  Is that possible when you know the deep desire you have to be with him?
 You exchange pleasantries.  You comment on the beautiful morning and it is decided that you will sit on the front porch and soak in all the early morning’s gifts.  He puts out his hand and helps you sit down on the steps.  You share how excited you are he is there.  You want him to understand how much you love these moments with him.  You share about your day and the plans you have.  He asks questions and the conversation takes off. 
After a while you invite him inside and you start fixing breakfast.  While you rinse the strawberries and put them in your nicest crystal bowl, he arranges grapes on a plate and pours the fresh squeezed orange juice.  The conversation is so comfortable and interesting that you almost miss the timer, which lets you know the muffins are ready for the table.  As you look at the beautiful spread before you, you wonder . . . If its beauty is because of the sunlight kissing everything with tiny diamonds or is it because he is there.

This man has a way of touching your sole.   He knows just what to say and do to get you to really open up.  You are thinking you wish it would never end.  You have longed for this kind of relationship.   And just then he looks at you, as if he knows your thoughts and tells you how much this time means to him too.    He then asks if he could spend all day with you.  He tells you he won’t interfere he would just like to be with you.  “ You never know when I may come in handy,” he says.   You can’t believe your ears so you look to his face and the boyish anticipation, mixed with the delightful twinkle in his eyes seals your decision and you spend the entire day with your SAVIOR FRIEND.
Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in and will Dine with him, and he with me.
Revelation 3:20                                
                                 
 I wrote this many years ago and a friend shared it with a publishing company... the editor told me it was, "icky."  She said and I quote, "No one wants to think of God that way!" I was crushed, really crushed.  Not that she didn't like my writing, but that the entire concept was wrong... I have put it away for a long time, frankly embarrassed.  I am letting that crap go!!!  It may not be interesting or even right to anyone, but I know... I really KNOW that my Savior Jesus Christ desires to be with me, and me with him and there is NOTHING inappropriate about that! 

Today living MtC involved me letting go of some very old Crap! Embracing  what I KNOW and putting it out there!  Today living MtC also involved praising God for the people who have helped me know him better!

No comments: