Tuesday, June 26, 2012

275- Facing my fears...

Today I had to deal with two very difficult things!  First, I left Becca with the students and I went to get my hair cut.  The last few weeks it has been way past time.  My hair has been a complete mess.  It has been too long, too dry, too everything.  I have been wearing it in a bun or pony tail everywhere.  It has been awful.   So today I decided, it was the day!!!  I looked up an Aveda salon and set out to find it.  I walked in and instead of the pretty female receptionist I was expecting I found an Asian gentleman who looked like he should be working in a bank.  His wife was in the back cutting a woman's hair.  It was very quiet and I was very scared.  He said he could cut my hair right then.  That is even worse.  You know it isn't good when the owner, top stylist, is free for a walk in. 

I considered leaving, but I was too chicken.  So I proceeded to try to explain to him what I wanted done.  I decided this was not the time to try something drastic so I told him something simple and we started the process.  I battled with crap!  Looking at myself in the mirror as he worked, doubting everything he was doing, hating what I saw in my tired face, without make up, not sure he would do anything I would like... It was a terrible time.  What he ended up doing wasn't terrible, but it wasn't something exciting to write home about.  I still plan to get it done again in Charlotte at some point. 

Then after leaving the hair place, I went back to the church where Becca was more than frustrated with what had happened with the students.  They had been disrespectful to her and the woman they were to be working with and she was frustrated and mad.  I knew I had to deal with it but erggggg not something I like doing.  I drove to our next location thinking the whole way, and finally ended up having a chat with the students.  They were ultimately being goofy, but it was not the time.  We worked it out and then I treated them to Starbucks.  (I'm such a mean boss!)  I can not begin to tell you what I had to do to muster the strength to scold them.  I hate doing that more than anything.  It had to be done, but oooooh, it was not fun!  I waded through crap to get to the point where I could.  I had to tell myself, this was one of those times when I had to be the adult, I had to do the difficult thing.  I survived it and now tomorrow I am planning some things that will hopefully help to build up good feelings in the group. 

It has been a rough day, but all in all, I made it through.  I found a way to get though the (C) and put on my big girl pants.  I was the grown up today and it wasn't easy but I did it! 

No comments: