Monday, October 10, 2011

Day 17

Tonight as I reflect about my day I can't stop thinking about the importance to be willing to be the unique creation that God has created us to be.  Embracing uniqueness means 2 things.
First the obvious, which is to see the uniqueness in self and embrace it.  For me that means realizing my talents and not trying to be someone I'm not.  It means to embrace this body, hair, etc.  It also means to acknowledge my skills. 
Second and perhaps less obvious and yet even more important, is to not covet the gifts of others.  So many times we want to have what other have, and to be like others are. We like uniformity and equality. We strive to have relationships like others, or cars, or houses, or bodies. 
Today, at times I struggled with thoughts of envy. Then in a meeting I observed, I saw over and over a disregard for uniqueness and I realized that all my envy, all of the (C) that had been running through my head was no different.  We all must find a way to be content on the journey that we have the privileged of being.  We are each here for a purpose, and given the tools needed to fulfill that purpose. Yet we spend so much time wishing we were something else. I wish I ran better, I wish I looked better, I wish I organized without effort, I wish, I wish, I wish.... or do I?
I realized tonight that uniqueness means inequality! It means that each of us will have deficits and gains. The trick is to celebrate who we are and live without comparing ourselves to others, but simply living with our eyes firmly planted on Christ.  If we are looking to Him we will see His reflection, His plan, His creation, and in my case His girl! 
So tonight I am laying down the (C) of comparing myself.  Of coveting others. 
Tonight I have a new resolve to live with my eyes on Him, and will look for the reflection and the purpose for my life.  In this process I hope to truly admire and value the gifts in others without needing to have what they do.  I am in this life for a reason and I hope to live like I really believe just that!

No comments: