Friday, October 14, 2011

Day 22 Ahhhh

Sabbath... Ahhhh.... there is just something about Friday night and the beginning of the Sabbath day that is so healing.  When it comes to health, I really believe there is nothing better for our health; physical, mental, emotional and spiritual. I really believe this with all my heart.  I know the Sabbath is more than just a commandment, it is not just something restrictive, it is however a solution or a remedy for most of what ails us. 
I have to confess, recently I have had moments or entire Friday evenings where I did whatever I wanted. A couple times it included watching "Say Yes to the Dress".  I had a list of reasons or excuses as to why. I was so tired, everything that had to do with church, God, or normal Sabbath things seemed to be to taxing.  A couple times it was boredom. Writing this I realize how pitiful it sounds. I have always loved Sabbath and almost broke up with Chris because in his college years he didn't "guard" the Sabbath the way I thought it should be.  Several times this year as I was watching girls choose their special dress, I thought of that time in my life and how I had been so judgmental of him and now here I was watching TV.  (For your information, Chris was right here with me. Often practicing for church. Never criticizing me)
I knew it wasn't how I wanted my Friday evening to be.  My mind just wasn't where it needed to be.  My heart wasn't where it needed to be.  I know to often, when I feel inadequate or just tired of trying to be someone I'm not, TV has been an escape.  It wasn't just TV though.  I just didn't see the Sabbath as the gift I had. I saw it as something else I needed to do.  Something else on the list of, "You don't measure up".  If the house wasn't clean.  I didn't have food even bought much less prepared.  My clothes weren't ready for the next day.  I didn't even know where my bible was.  I hadn't read a good book in months.  I loved God.  I know He loved me too, but I didn't measure up.
At those times just being quiet is too hard.  Just letting praise and worship music play, and being quiet and still,  let the list scream at me even louder. I can remember feeling like pins and needles poking my entire body, I was restless. Turning on the TV took away the quiet and drowned out the list.
Tonight, with a counter full of dishes that needed to be washed, dirty laundry, and no idea what I will wear tomorrow I know the better way to handle the list is to simply stop, turn on some music, and lay it all at His feet.  After all it is not my job to clean it up before coming to Him.  My escape should be Him.  He is the remedy.  He is the reason the Sabbath is here.  He doesn't need me to have it all together.  He just wants me to come to Him. 
Tonight, we had friends over even with a dirty kitchen and a house that needs dusty something terrible.  Yet the time together, the good food, (it was fresh, colorful, delicious, and very healthy), was not hindered by the lack of something.  It was the friendship and fellowship that added so much.  It is the same with Christ.  He isn't hindered by our short comings. It is our time with him, our fellowship that adds so much!
This journey is about health and healing.  I know a very important part of this process is to relish in Sabbath.  Relish in the time with my Savior. To come before him, perhaps in a crumpled mess of undone, and just surrender to him my time and my focus.  I know it is what He longs for, I know it is what my soul longs for. After all the TV was like trying to spray air freshiner on the pile of (C) and expecting relief. Kind of like those Fabreez commercials :).  Jesus on the other hand, is willing to take the (C) flush it down the toilet, spray some Fabreez of His joy and love.  Then we can sit down and have a conversation, develop the relationship. Relish in each other. I can better know Him! What a difference. 
Tonight, I am going to relish in Him. Happy Sabbath Everyone!

No comments: